Friday, April 17, 2015

Supermarine Walrus walkaround

Some pics of the Supermarine Walrus displayed at the RAAF museum, Point Cook, Australia.























Saturday, February 28, 2015

Heinkel 162 - Tamiya 1/48

Hi,

I didnt put aside the build of the Yakovlev but just needed an interlude.

This is the very good and easy Tamiya model with the Quickboost bang seat, plus other scratch-built items. As always Tamiya decals are too thick...

On the actual He-162 the clear part of the canopy was set on a metal frame and screwed from the outside. To reproduce the particularity, I just painted the frame from the inside.

Painting was done using Xtracrylics which, despite very fine pigments, is a pain in the ass to airbrush, clogging the A/B every 5 minutes.



The base was made using Paris plaster, balsa strips and a mix of grass mats from Imthurn and Heki. The oil drum comes from Brengun.

My build is far from perfect, but let's say that I am finally able to build and paint the way I want without having too many technical limitations.




 










Monday, June 30, 2014

Yakovlev UT-1b (Mikro-Mir 1/48) - Part 4

Hi,

The cockpit is finally done. Not perfect though, but that will do.

I made a new Instrument Panel as the one in the box was a bit undersized. I used the drawing from the official manual to print my IP on plastic card. The shape of the new IP is not 100% accurate but at least it fits ok now.



I made the instruments with wire and decals. To make it faster, I made a coil out of wire and cut the [i]sausage[/i] in the middle to make plenty of little circles. Just have to choose the roundest ones.






Bezels were first glued with Tamiya extra-fluid cement, and later firmly stuck in place by inserting a toothpick impregnated with CA glue into the holes. The instruments were made from spare decals and sealed with Future + transparent acetate sheet.



The cockpit now finished:





You can notice that the rudder pedals are quite far from the seat. This is explained by Russian pilots having very long legs and wearing stilettos. Saw it too late and couldn't be bothered.


The painting of the headrest will be improved after closing the fuselage.






Monday, June 2, 2014

Yakovlev UT-1b (Mikro-Mir 1/48) - Part 3

 Hi,

Cockpit detailing finally done  ;)

As I said before, I had to make a new seat. I added a cushion for the pilot's buttock and scratched the fifth seat belt that goes between the legs. Not sure though if I am going to keep the cushion for the pilot's butt. BTW, the part numbering is total chaos.



I used fishing line to simulate the rigging on the cockpit sides and modified the engine controls with 3 throttles (instead of 4 as suggested by Mikro-Mir). The mid cable is intentionally out of the axis.





I scratch-made the rudder controls and the stick:


Friday, May 23, 2014

Yakovlev UT-1b (Mikro-Mir 1/48) - Part 2

Hi,

Finally started some interesting work after a looooot of sanding on the wings and fuselage. But it's ok as I started the fun part of scratch-building the cockpit, and that's fun !


Cockpit

The tubular structure of the cockpit needs to be shortened (red line) in order to fit the wings on the fuselage.




The seat provided in the box vaguely looks like the original :






I made a new seat from scratch using 0.25mm plastic sheet helped with the instruction manual of the UT-2.
Of course, I realized later that I misinterpreted the schematics and that (1) reads actually "Shoulder seatbelts", so no sides on that seat ... More on that on Part 3 of this build.

Scratch-built seat with cushion (see Part 3 - for correction)


The headrest is too large to be fitted in the fuselage. Here again a lot of sanding.






On the picture below, two interesting features that will be added. Firstly, the leather bulge (2) just in front of the pilot; but I will take care of it later on. Secondly, the horizontal structure surrounding the pilot (1):




To create this part, I printed a pattern on 0.25mm plastic sheet and cut it accordingly.



I then added a small vertical part that will help to set the PE instrument panel later.


It looks a bit messy with all that ink on plastic. I use that trick to have a good idea if the surface is smooth enough. Ink will be removed before painting to avoid a mess.





Wings

There is a big gap on the wing/fuselage junction and adding 2x0.25 mm of plastic sheet didn't really help.



A  distinctive feature of this plane are the walkway stripes on the root of the left wing. It looks awful on the kit and will be replaced with 7 (not 8 like on kit) very thin strips after gluing the wings.




Thanks for looking

Antoine